Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hello!

I'm Jessica. I wanted to participate in the Boy Mom BlogHop so here's my introduction post.


I've been married to my husband, Andy, since September 12, 1998. We got married in Chicago, IL where our oldest daughter, Deidra, was born. Deidra is 12. We had some help getting pregnant with her. When she was 3, we felt God calling us to adoption to add to our family. Anyway, we moved to MI (where my husband and I both grew up) and looked into international adoption, but the cost was too high. The timing wasn't right either. So, about a couple of years later, we moved to TX and God called us to foster care and my husband and I determined that as long as our daughter remained the oldest, we'd take any child regardless of their age or race and foster them. If they were to come up for adoption, we would be their forever home. We had 8 foster children. 5 left our home and either went home or to other relatives/friends of the family. We gave 3 of them forever families. We have a little boy, Josiah, that is now 6. He is a very intense child to parent and I rely on God to give us all the graces that we need. lol. He has ADHD, oppositional defiance disorder, sensory integration disorder, reactive attachment disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. A couple of years after his adoption, we wound up adopting 2 half-sisters, Emily and Tracie. Emily has ADHD as does Tracie. Tracie also struggles with sensory integration. Right before we found out that we were going to be able to adopt our girls, God gave us an added blessing and we found out that after 9 years of trying, we were pregnant again. Josiah was a little bummed that it turned out to be another sister, Melina. But, she has taught us so much and brought us so much joy and we have really learned a lot about attachment with her. Anyway, I am the Mommy to 5 very precious children and although some days are really hard and really crazy around here, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I just staretd a ministry page for those of us parents who have embraced adoption (thepeagarden.blogspot.com)...it's brand new this week. So, if you are interested in adoption or have adopted children...come join me at The PEA Garden...

Also if you want to share about your boys and make some new friends go link up here at themobsociety.com :-) How fun!

Mothers of Boys


18 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Jessica,

Thanks for visiting my blog! We were married a couple weeks apart! My hubby and I married on September 4, 1998! How fun! Almost 14 years.......

Nice to meet you!

Jennifer
teachingboys.net

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Christina said...

Thanks for sharing about your journey! God has used you to bless the lives of precious souls. A dear friend of mine is fostering two little ones whom I have fallen head over heels for:) I enjoyed visiting here and blessings on your new ministry!

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Sheena @ An Imperfect Life said...

I love your heart for adoption and support to others going through the same process. God bless you!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful blessing adoptive parents are. They sometimes will never know how many they've touched by their generous gifts.

Thank you for stopping by my blog, and God bless you for sharing from your heart about adoption.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Hi, Jessica! I also have a big place in my heart for adoption. I was actually the adopted child at the age of 8 along with my teenage brother. So I definitely admire you for adopting the siblings and keeping them together. You are truly an inspiration! Blessings to your family!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jade Clark said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my page and leaving me a message. Yes, you are nearby! Sounds like you definitely have your hands full of blessings, what a treasure chest! Praying for you and your family today! Jade =)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Mattie said...

Visiting from the blog hop! I am an adoption social worker as well as an adoptive mama in the waiting. Thank you for opening your heart and home to children that needing a loving place, even if only for a short while.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Julie at I'm Not a Supermom said...

Visiting from MOB's Blog Hop. I admire you and your dedication to fostering and adoption. You sound like you have a very special family!
Blessings!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

It's very nice to meet you! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I was actually about to visit yours, so you beat me to it! I can't wait to check out your page!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. We were also married in 1998 and have a 12 year old!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Shonda said...

You are amazing! Bless you for adopting and taking care of such high needs kids. Thanks for visiting my blog.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rosilind Jukic said...

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog. What a wonderful ministry God has called you to - to share His love with those who need it so badly. May God bless you and your blessed family. Blessings from Croatia: A Little R & R: www.littlerandr.org

10:14 AM  
Blogger Michele-Lyn said...

Thank you for stopping by my place and sharing your new page/blog. I look forward to checking it out!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - my 6 yr old also has ODD - and attachment disorder & more - If you ever need a listening ear or understanding heart - I get it. God is good and He is working on our boy - but I know there are days and even moments in every day that can be overwhelming. Always here to encourage another mom of adoption ;) God bless

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home