Thursday, October 19, 2006

God and religion

Are you and your significant other on the same page about God and religion? If not, does it create conflict or how do you resolve those issues?

Well, Andy and I haven't always been on the same page. While we both believed in God, he grew up Methodist and I grew up Catholic. A lot of our early marital fights were about religion. I wanted us to go to church, but the question was where. I wanted to go to Catholic church and he didn't feel comfortable there. I didn't just want to give up my faith as that was truly where I was comfortable and I wanted us to be on the same page when kids came into the picture or I really thought we were going to have troubles. He told me he had no problem with me raising the kids to be Catholic, he just didn't want to convert. All I kept seeing is what happened in my house growing up...Dad doesn't go to church, why should we have to go? We compromised by picking a Presbyterian church that we were married at to go to one Sunday and then we'd go to the Catholic church the next and we started alternating. After more fighting that we still didn't feel comfortable in the other churches, we quit going altogether. I spent a lot of time in prayer praying about what to do and how to solve the differences. Finally once Deidra was born and we talked again, he agreed to go throught he classes to learn more about the Catholic church and then go from there. I was just happy that he agreed to do that. Turns out a lot of his hold ups about the church, was just a lot of misinformation that he had been given and he realized during the class that he had just been confused about it all because he had been misinformed. After the class was over, he took the sacraments and converted. We've definitely grown a lot closer by being able to share God with one another and worship together in the same way. There's no division...it's brought our family unity...we're on different levels of understanding God and purpose sometimes, but it's a work in progress and we're growing toward God in our marriage and that's something that brings peace into the marriage as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home