Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Weekend Away...

I spent Friday getting the laundry done and the house cleaned up so we didn't come back to a mess. Got our bags packed up and the kids all packed up and put them to bed so we could get up early Saturday and get them to the sitters.

Got up early Saturday morning and were out the door by 7:45. We had to drive Baby L the furthest to get to his sitters so we dropped him off first. Then, we drove back to our city to drop off Baby J and Little A and then we headed to my MOm's to drop off Deidra. We chatted there for a bit and then headed out. We went to the Taste of Dallas and parked at Andy's work. We had some mediterranean food for lunch (Andy had a falafel sandwich and I had a gyro and we shared some hummus)and we just walked around trying samples and looking at the booths. We walked by the petting zoo and stopped to see all the bunnies that they were putting into the pen, we walked around to see the llama when I happened to look up and see a lemur that they had tasseled to a cage so he couldn't run off, but he was walking all over the tops of the cages and the poles. He had a broken leg and so we went over to see him. I was surprised when we petted him that he was as soft as he was. He was so sweet and adorable. I told Andy that I wanted one for our anniversary. lol.

I'm really just teasing about that part, although he was cool. We headed back to Corgan (Andy's work)to use the bathroom and get some water before we headed to Ft. Worth.

We drove out to Ft. Worth and found our hotel. We stayed at the Marriott.

We drove around to find the places we were going and then we went and checked our car into the hotel parking garage and then went and got our room. Our room was really nice and the bed was so comfy. We went swimming at the pool (5th floor outdoors) and it was neat to be in the pool and still look up at the highrise buildings. We went back in to shower and get dressed for dinner. We decided that we were going to walk around for a bit so we went up to the Barnes & Noble to see if they had a certain magazine that Andy wanted and we went to the Chocolate Factory to buy some truffles and we walked a few blocks just to see what was around. We both really liked downtown Ft. Worth. It has a totally different feel than Dallas does. We went back to the hotel to get our car to go to dinner. We went to La Familia to enjoy an awesome Mexican dinner for 2. Dinner was very good and very filling. This is what the inside of the restaurant looks like:

Very good service and very good food!

Then, we drove around for a bit afterwards and then headed back to the hotel to rest for a bit before the musical started as we were going to the 8 o'clock show. I napped for awhile while Andy watched some tv and then we got up to get dressed up to go to Avenue Q. We tried calling Deidra to tell her good-night (she still gets apprehensive staying away from home sometimes), but she was at the neighbors across the street from Grandma's swimming with their little girl. So we walked to the performance hall.

We discovered that we had really awesome seats! We went to the bathroom and then went back to sit down in our Box. We watched the music pit practice and the people fill in. And then it was time for Avenue Q to begin.

The musical was funny, very adult oriented, but hilarious, and we had a great time! Andy grinned from ear-to-ear during the whole first half I think. At intermission we tried to call Deidra again, but she was still swimming and my Mom was just about to go over and get her from swimming. She told us we could call when the musical was over, but we didn't get done until almost 10:30 and I wasn't going to call that late. We went back to the hotel to drop the musical tickets and brochures off and then we went across the street to Chili's to have a couple drinks. I was starting to get tired after drink #1 and so we just had one more and then Andy got some food to go (how he could even think about eating again was beyond me as I was still so full from dinner) and we headed back to the hotel. I was out shortly later.

Sunday, I woke up at 7 (darned kids have gotten up around then so much that I don't even need an alarm anymore and I'm up)and I watched the news while I let Andy sleep in. 8:30 rolled around and I got him up so we could breakfast as I was starving by then. He got dressed and we went down to the Corner Bakery to get some breakfast, but the line was so long that we decided to go back to our room and call them for Room service instead since they delivered. So, we ate in our room while watching Housesitter on tv. Breakfast was delicious! After that we got our stuff together and we checked out of the hotel. We headed to the Ft. Worth Stockyards.

We saw a cattle drive and we shopped in the stores and we went and tasted wine. The wine combined with the 100 degree heat did me in and I started feeling off. So, we headed back to the car and decided to go to the mall in Arlington to walk around for a bit. We got some Starbucks (my mint mocha chip frappuccino) to try and cool down some and we went to Children's Place, Gymboree, and the Yankee Candle Company, and a few other stores, before we went to Q-Doba for lunch and then headed to my Mom's to get Deidra. She was just getting home from swimming again and so we got her dressed and Mom fed her some dinner before we took off. I called the lady who had Baby J and Little A and we were on our way to go get them. Shortly after we picked them up the rain we watched the storm while we drove out to get Baby L. We got back home and tried to get unpacked somewhat and got Little A and Baby J fed since they were the only ones who hadn't eaten dinner yet and then they all took baths and went to bed. I fell asleep on the couch and Andy woke me to go to bed.

It was great getting out by ourselves and having that time to connect without interruptions and just doing our own thing. We both agreed that we really needed this time together and the break from taking care of the kids and we're going to make it a goal to do it more often...maybe every 3-4 months or so. It really did us a lot of good and we had a great time! Yes, I do have 1 picture of us that Deidra took when we got home, but I'll add it later as I'm too lazy to go get the camera right now. :-)

Labels: , , , ,


Blogger Lacey said...

Glad you got a weekend away, it is much needed for a marriage to stay alive and strong.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home