Sunday, September 26, 2010

Good first day of catechism...

the kids started catechism classes for the year at church. They all said that they had fun. Mom and I had a good first day teaching our students as well. I think it will be a great year. We got home and I asked the kids to tell me about what they had learned today. Tracie said "we colored." I asked her what she colored and she said again "we colored." So, we talked a little about what her picture was (God holding the world in His hands). I asked Josiah what he did and he told me that he colored a picture of God, a heart, and a big circle thing." We talked about how the big circle thing was Earth and how much He loved all of us that He always hold us in His Hands. Emma's teacher is reading them a different story each week and sending them home with a verse to memorize. I asked Emma what story they read and she had no idea. The verse was about God creating the world though, but no matter how much I prompted her she couldn't tell me anything. Deidra talked about respect and taking the Lord's name in vain. She came home and told me the most about her class...I guess that's understandable since she is the oldest.

We finished in church and this little girl came running up to Emma wanting to give her a hug and Emma wouldn't talk to her. I asked her what her name was and she told me her name was Clara and that they were in the same class at school. Really cute little girl. Emma wouldn't have anything to do with her. I talked to Emma and told her that God had brought her little friend and that we were friendly people and not to be rude. A few minutes later, Clara left the church with her family and walked by us again and said "bye, Emily." Once again, Emma just stuck her nose up at her. Deidra told me that she does that everyday at the bus and that she came over to see if Emma could play the other day, but we were going somewhere and Emma wouldn't even talk to her then either. I know her social skills aren't strong, but it boggles my mind how she can go up to complete strangers that she doesn't know and want hugs and stuff yet this little girl wants to be her friend and whereas most kids would be excited about that, Emma sticks her nose up at it and doesn't want anything to do with it. I think I'm going to have Deidra show me where the little girl lives and invite her over for a playdate this week and see if I can encourage Emma to play with her. She desperately needs some social skills rather than just wanting to play by herself all of the time. Clara is as cute as a button too.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home