Monday, October 02, 2006

Meeting of the Parents...

I had to laugh when we went to church on Sunday. We got there later than usual and our usual seats had been taken....so we went and sat towards the back. We were sitting there for a few minutes when A (my guy friend from work) came in and sat behind us (in his usual spot). I never know what service he's going to be at as he doesn't always go to 8 am like we do. Anyway, it didn't look like Mom was going to make it at first and then she walked in with my brother Jimmie at the start of mass. Mom looked at me at one point during the mass and she had a strange smile on her face. I looked at her and said "what?" and she just shook her head "nothing." We went through mass and I was going to introduce A to Mom as Mom has really wanted to meet him. We've had some issues with my brother, Zach, this week and A hit the nail on the head about something not even knowing what was going on. I had told Mom and that only made her want to meet him even more. Anyway, A got up and left really quick before I could notice after mass. So, I didn't get the chance to even tell her who he was. We were leaving the church and Mom says to me "A was sitting right behind you wasn't he?" I looked at her in shock. How did she know when they hadn't even been introduced? Anyway, I went to take D to class after church and I came back to find Mom talking to A. He never stays after mass. So, A told me that he had just met my Mom and he started to talk to me for awhile. Then, he pointed out his Dad to me and we got to talking about our families. His dad bent down and picked this little girl up and A said to me "isn't that your daughter?" The little girl looked very similar to D right down to the clothes that she was wearing, but it wasn't her. I told A that I just brought her to Sunday school, but that wasn't her. A said that he thought that D was just beautiful. I guess she turned toward him during mass and he said he was just stunned at how beautiful that she was. I told him that he'd seen her before, but he said that he never really looked at her before...he's always seen her from the back. He said to me "She's truly a gift from God...she's very beautiful and she's very well-behaved." I was touched. Anyway, my little brother had come up to introduce himself and Mom asked him something about Kimber (this is the girl that Mom wants my brother to marry someday...but my brother is more interested in football than girls). Anyway, she reminded him again that he needed to be interested in girls that share his own faith and that they both needed to remain pure. That was a little awkward in front of A and his father. Then, Mom turns to A and she says "you sure do have the gift of the holy spirit and you're more than welcome to keep my daughter in line anytime and you're always welcome to sit with us in mass or come to the house or anything." I said "oh oh, you're a member of the family now." He laughed and then joked that he doesn't keep anything in line...he just says what God puts on his heart. We both turned to one another and asked if we were working today and what time. Then, we got to talking about what our parents do for livings. We said our good-byes and Mom asked me if I'd walk over to the gift store with her. She got distracted by about 10 people on the way over there and as we were walking around the corner (I thought that A had already left) she says to me "that A is one fine looking boy." I made the comment that if I was only a little younger or had never been married before...if I was a single girl I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. We rounded the corner and he's sitting right there on the bench. I instantly blushed. Mom said "he didn't hear you." I told her "oh yes, he did...that boy has ears like a hawk." He looked up and winked at me. He was being the gentleman so I didn't get embarassed. And meeting A's dad...I figured out why A is always reminding me to be submissive. Very good family though... But, I told A that he's officially been adopted into the family now. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home