Thursday, January 25, 2007

Any advice?

Abba, please guide me in a way to curb this behavior with her. I don't know what else to try and do.

Deidra is driving me bonkers with her fashions and having to look pretty. Looking pretty to her is skirts and dresses. I've tried getting her to pick out clothes the night before (she always changes her mind and wants something else come morning). Anyway, this morning she didn't want the clothes I had picked out for her and we were late getting ready as Andy never called to wake me up. She threw a fit. I told her she had 2 minutes then to get herself up and pick something out of her closet. She stood there staring into her closet and finally picked a Halloween shirt and a skirt that totally didn't match. So, I told her that she wasn't wearing a skirt or a dress today and she wasn't wearing a Halloween shirt as it was going on Valentine's day. She wouldn't pick anything else, so I picked an outfit for her to wear. No sooner did I get it on her and went to grab her shoes then she was out of it. She went and hid in our walk-in closet and put her Halloween shirt back on along with her skirt. It's not warm enough for the skirt she was trying to wear and I desperately need to do her laundry. So, I grabbed the closest outfit that I could find and told her that she had lost her chances at getting herself dressed and I got her into the clothes I had picked. She was screaming nonstop at me to the point of making herself puke that she was ugly in those clothes and wasn't going to school where everyone could look at her like that. I told her that she didn't look ugly at all, but she needed to calm down as we were late. She tried to take off on me again to tear herself out of her clothes, but I grabbed her and we got her coat and shoes on. I marched her out to the car and into her carseat and she proceeded to keep screaming at me. I told her that she needed to get herself calmed down or privileges were going to start being taken away. All she kept screaming at me was that I made her look ugly in what she had on and she wasn't walking through the gym that way so everyone could look at her. I told her that if she didn't calm herself down that was only going to draw more attention to herself. I wound up telling her that she lost the privelege of watching the videos she got from the library last night and I was going to take them back to the library today. That got her attention for a little while and she started to calm down. Then, when it was her turn to get out of the car, she started up again. Now, she's grounded from tv after school. I was so embarrassed that she wouldn't get out of the car and when she finally did she wouldn't go in the gym. She stood there reaching for me and telling me how ugly she looked and she wouldn't budge from the curb. One of the teachers had to come and get her. I pulled up further to let the other parents get to the curb to unload their children and I sat and watched to see if she was going to calm down or not. The teacher waved at me and told me she'd be ok. So, I left.

She's always coming home from school and putting her dresses on or changing her clothes 2-3 times a day once she's home. She's always playing with jewelry and painting her nails and such. I've had to talk with her a few times about how much she was changing her clothes though as it was doing nothing but creating more and more laundry for me to try and stay on top of. She doesn't do that so much anymore, but I never expected to get this much attitude over clothing from a 6-year-old. She's got a whole closet full of stuff that she refuses to wear. I won't go clothing shopping for her without me now, but even some stuff she picks in the store barely gets worn as she doesn't want that outfit when I go to put it on her.

I'm almost debating making her start doing her own laundry and having to put it away to see if that will curb her behavior. I'm so tired of fighting with her every morning about what she's going to wear. I don't remember giving my Mom a hard time about clothes when I was her age.

It broke my heart to hear her calling herself ugly over something that I made her wear. I thought she looked adorable. But yet, I can't have her fighting with me like this either. She hasn't given me this hard of a time in quite awhile. We just need to nip this in the bud now, so it doesn't continue to escalate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Believe it or not I have had my share of battles with Nicholas over clothes. I think one thing that would help is to let Deidra pick out her own clothes the night before. Have her only wear that with no changes the following morning. Make sure you give her plenty of time to decide so she is not rushed. Even if it is not something you would choose for her as long as it is weather appropriate let her wear it. I would let her wear her Halloween shirt on Valentine's Day. Let her wear stripes with plaid. She will learn what looks good together. At her age she just wants the opportunity to make some choices on her own. If anyone asks about it, just tell them Daddy dressed her. ;) Good luck!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home