Saturday, June 30, 2007

Prayers for my Mom

I woke up this morning and was enjoying some peace and quiet before everyone woke up when the phone rang this morning. I thought it was my Mom, however it turned out to be my brother. "Jess, there's something going on with Mom. She's asking weird questions. I need you to call back in a minute." I asked him if she had just woken up or something thinking that maybe she was just coming out of a dream or something. He told me that she had been up for a little bit, but he just wanted me to call back in a minute. I went and woke Andy up and told him that something was going on with my Mom and that I may need to run over there.

I went and called my Mom and at first she was just mumbling lowly and I don't even know what she was trying to say and then hung up on me. I called back again and she said "Sorry Jess, I must have hit some button or something...I don't know what happened." I told her that was ok and was just about to ask her if she feeling ok when she asked me "Where's Daddy?" I told her I didn't know. She asked me why and when I told her that I hadn't talked to him in a few days she asked me if he was in Georgia. I told her again that I didn't know. She asked why. I told her again that I hadn't talked to him in a few days. She then asked "Did he go back to GA?" I asked her what she meant and she asked me again "Where's Daddy?" I then asked her what she meant. She's had dreams before that have been prophetic, so I had wondered if she had a dream that my Dad had been in an accident or something (he's an over-the-road truck driver). Then, she says "Jimmie said he got remarried." It was then that I knew that something wasn't right. I told her to put Jimmie on the phone. She said that she wasn't going to. I told her that I was going to come over. She then asked "Why won't anyone tell me where Daddy went?" I didn't know whether to tell her the real answers or not at this point as I didn't know what was going on. My Dad remarried about 4 years ago and she's known that all along, but something wasn't right. I told her again that I was coming over and when she said something to my brother in the background, I hung up.

I broke down in tears and told Andy that I needed to go...my Mom was not in her right mind and I had no idea what was going on. I couldn't think clearly at all I was in such a panic. He told me she may be having a stroke and to call 911 and get someone over there. I picked up the phone to call 911 and then thought "well, if I call 911 and they take her to the hospital, I have no way of knowing where they've taken her by then as I'm 30 minutes from there. I hung up to get on the road (I was going to call again after I left) but I couldn't find my keys. In the meantime, 911 called me back...I explained the situation and they gave me the police department number. I called them as I was walking out the door and they told me that I needed to call the sherriff's dept. I called them and explained the situation and they wanted to know if I wanted a sherriff to go out and check on her. I told them that I didn't know whether we needed an ambulance or the sherriff, but I needed to get to her so that I knew where they were going to take her. She took my number down so they could have the sherriff call me back. They said the sherriff would call for the ambulance if one was needed. I called my Dad in tears and could hardly speak and I was growing increasingly frustrated that everyone in front of me would not go the speed limit. Dad told me that he'd call her and choked up himself. I told him then that I didn't know if that was such a good idea either, but I couldn't stop him from doing it. After that, I called Andy and gave him an update and he told me to keep him posted and to try and calm down. I asked him to call my work and tell them that I had a family emergency and would not be coming in today. I feel bad that this is my 2nd Saturday that I've missed in a row, but I just didn't feel comfortable going in. My Dad called me back just as I was turning onto the back road that goes down to their street and said that he just talked to her and it sounded like she just had a bad memory relapse and she seemed to remember as he talked to her about things although her mind was fuzzy. He had to get back to a meeting, but he wanted me to stay with her today and I told him that the police should be there checking on her. An ambulance whizzed by me after that and I freaked out not knowing if it was her. I was on a very low battery on my cell phone and was praying that I didn't lose signal before I knew what was going on with her.

I pulled up to their house and 2 cop cars were there. I started crying again and tried to pull myself together. I got in the door and my brother came up and wrapped his arms around me and my Mom was crying. She said that after she talked to my Dad she seemed to come out of it. She said that she felt fine otherwise and the cops said that they thought she just had a bad memory relapse and that stress or anything could have caused it. She didn't want to go get checked out and kept saying that she was fine, so after they took down some other info from me they left. She kept saying that she was fine, but the more we talked about stuff her memory was extremely fuzzy...she didn't remember hanging up on me, she didn't remember asking some of the questions that she had asked, and when we said some things she had no memory of it. She knew that she talked to Dad as well, but she had no memory of what he told her or what he had asked her but she did remember feeling good about talking to him. With all that, I just didn't feel right about leaving her in case she had another relapse, so I told her that I was going to spend the day with her.

We spent the day crying and laughing and just going along with what she wanted to do. We went and got some coffee, we went to a couple of garage sales, and we went out to dinner and she was extremely embarrassed about what she calls "her senior moment." I'm still worried about her and she did tell me that she found out on Friday that some medical tests that she had came back positive and that she had to go in and have more testing done to find out what was going on and that she was a bit stressed about that. I didn't know if that's what maybe caused the episode today, but I told her that I wanted her to talk to the doctor about what happened today when she went in this week. It was hard to leave today and I told my brother to call me if anything else happened during the night or over the next day. All I know is that it scared us pretty bad. I still don't know what happened, but she said that she just felt like she was in another realm. I don't know if it was a minor stroke or not and seeing how as she wouldn't go back in as she said that she felt fine, I don't know if we'll ever know, but I hope we never have to go through this again.

Abba, please watch over my Mom and keep her safe and please let her medical tests come back showing only good things.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lacey said...

You got it Jess! Hug her tight and urge her to tell the doctor.

Many prayers!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home