Wednesday, November 21, 2007

On parenting

Taken from Cory's blog (www.roosmom.com) A little survey on parenting:

I would never:
Let my young children be left unattended to. Working in retail I see this alot...the parents are off shopping while their little ones are playing on the John Deere tractors and so forth. Or they let their children play monkey while riding in the carts...they're hanging off the sides, riding in the bottom, or hanging upside down off the side....they don't even see the possible danger that could happen and yet when you say something to them or their children they get angry at you.

I always:
Make sure that they know how much they are loved.

I got an easy ride when it came to:
Deidra never went through the hitting/biting/pulling hair stage.

The part I dislike most about parenting is:
Getting them all ready to go somewhere and getting there with everything that has to be taken. We really need a mini-van so we no longer have to take 2 cars.

The part I love most about parenting is:
Seeing how neat everything is to them or seeing their viewpoints on things. I love listening to them talk about things from their point of view. We take so many things for granted as adults.

My terrible parenting secret is:
I don't always let them help me do something when they want to do help, but I'm trying to be better about that. Sometimes I just don't want to have to deal with the extra mess when it' so much easier to do it myself.

I would describe my approach to discipline as:
I really try to let them know what I expect from them and I give them choices. They deal with the consequences of not doing the right thing. I don't yell much unless it's something serious and I'm afraid they're going to get hurt. They know that I usually follow through with whatever it is that I'm telling them. I can't say that I'm super strict, but I'm not super lenient either.

My worst parenting habit:
Depending too much on Deidra at times when I have my hands full with other things and I have kids that are getting into this or that at the same time in 2 separate places.

The one thing I am really proud of is:
that I'm a good Mom. They know they are loved and cared for and that they can come to me with anything. I spend too much time cuddling with them sometimes when I really should be getting housework done, but hey the housework will alwyas be there...

I probably am too lenient when it comes to:
how much tv they watch

I hope my kids inherit my:
compassionate heart and loving spirit

I hope my kids don’t inherit my:
lack of patience at times

I love that my kids are:
sweet and kind and not afraid to go after what they want

The thing I miss most about my pre-mom days is:
having more time to myself

Motherhood is:
Something I've always wanted out of life. It's very hard at times, but very rewarding too.

So, if you have kids, tell me more about what kind of parent you are. If you aren’t yet a mother, tell me what kind of parent you hope to be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home