Friday, March 28, 2008

An Update on Us...

Things are going ok here. Very busy, very tired, but good. I'm glad that it's Friday.

Andy's been doing his home brew and loves how his beer turned out. The people he works with wanted to try it, so he brought in a bunch of bottles on Wednesday for them to try. Everyone loved it and they want to come down for a brew day. They have Friday Forum where the company brings in beer and wine for their business meetings and his dept wants to see if they could supply the beer if they can get good enough at brewing.

I've been really busy lately...I just switched Baby J's therapy companies so instead of getting therapy twice a month, he's going to start getting it 2-3 times a week. 2 times of speech and 1 time of occupational therapy. He screems when he wants something rather than saying what he wants...I don't give it to him until he says the word, but I have to figure out something...my ears can't handle much more of this. They also tell me that he doesn't have all the words down that he should. He hardly said anything when we first got him, so I think he's definitley come along way. But, I agree that he is a bit behind and he doesn't talk to anyone the way he talks to us so they think there's more of a problem, but hopefully the more he learns the less we'll hear of this high-pitched ear drum rattling scream that he has.

Baby D is about to start occupational therapy and some sensory processing integration and they're going to work with him on eating and muscle tone. He really loves the preschool curriculum that I do with him too and he is so smart. I hope what I teach him stays with him and he doesn't forget it. I want him to do better than what I see his siblings doing in school when he starts and I hope I'm giving him a good foundation.

Little J is doing a lot better now that we took her off her newest medication. She's still so behind in school and it's hard to see that she just doesn't grasp certain concepts no matter how hard you try with her. The school doesn't want to test her and my caseworker and I really feel that she belongs ina special ed room. We're going to see if we can't get CPS to do anything since they have educational workers and we're going to bring in a tutor for her as well. We're still trying to find out too if she can go to summer school this year so she doesn't forget what she has learned this year.

Deidra loves our neighborhood and she's made some good friends down the street. The kids' do not have the same manners that I have instilled in Deidra though. They think if she leaves, it's ok for them to stay here and they constantly argue with her about what they want to do. When I was young and I was at someone else's house, I always stayed with my friend that I was there to visit, I didn't run all over the people's houses and get into their things while my friend was off in another room. It's weird...

We're officially on the list to receive a newborn/infant...we told them the only thing we wouldn't take was an HIV or high medical needs baby. She said that the only newborns they've been getting lately are the newborns that have been testing positive for drugs at birth. We said that was ok....so we're officially on the list now. I know the placements have been slow, so I made the comment that we were prepared to wait awhile...she came back with well it could be as soon as just a couple of weeks. So, we'll see. I've been in the garage trying to get the infant carseat out and cleaned up and trying to find the bouncy seat and putting all that into the 4th bedroom so I'm prepared when he/she comes. I babysat for my fosterparent friend on Tuesday and she has a little baby that is almost 6 months old and Baby J just wanted to sit and watch her forever and Deidra and Little J kept fawning over her. Baby D really didn't care one way or the other. It was fun to have a baby in the house though that small. It was funny to see how nervous Andy got when I asked him to hold her while I ran to the pharmacy though. I told him it would come back to him. When I got back a few minutes later, he said "here you go...she makes me nervous." lol. Awhile later though, he was talking to her all cute and trying to get her to smile.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger My Two Army Brats said...

You are amazing!

I love reading about all these little ones and the challenges and great times you have them.

My oldest son has sensory integration disorder and an anxiety disorder as well and he keeps us busy! It's amazing how finding the right occupational therapist has sped up his progress towards meeting his goals. He also has an awesome speech therapist at school, he's come so far!

Keep up the great work, the world needs more mom's like you out there!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thank you so much! I'll have to check out your blog too! Good luck with your oldest son as well...some of this stuff is new for me to deal with...but I'm trying!

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home