Friday, April 04, 2008

My beautiful baby girl is having a hard time....

She got in the car from school yesterday and she just wasn't herself. I reached over and took her hand and asked her what was wrong and tears just started streaming down her face. She started saying that she had the worst luck this week at school and she got in trouble for the 2nd day in a row. Her getting check marks is very rare. She's gotten 3 so far this year and then this week she just got 2 in a row so now she has 5 for the year. She was upset that now her chance was ruined for getting to go to lunch with the principal at the end of the year (3 or less checks for the whole year and they get a special field trip with the principal for making right choices). The first check mark she got was for talking in class. She told me that the girl she sits next to kept talking to her and after their warning, she quit talking but the girl sitting next to her kept turning to tell her things and the one time Deidra turned her head her way she wound up getting a check. She claims that she wasn't talking anymore and man was she upset about it. I wrote a note to the teacher saying that Deidra is usually telling me the truth when she gets that adamant and upset about something and I told her Deidra's version of what happened. She wrote me back and said that they were both talking and both given several warnings before they were given their check marks. I had another talk with Deidra and she's still very adamant that she had quit talking, she had just turned her head the other girls way to listen to what she was saying. I talked with her about how when the teacher is trying to teach the class she needs to be paying attention. She said she didn't really know what to do because the other girl kept continuing to try to talk to her and I always tell her that when people are talking to you, it's polite to listen and not be rude. So, then I had to tell her that in all of the people in her class, her teacher deserves the utmost respect and that she needed to listen to her first. I'm still torn on the issue as I believe Deidra when she says she had quit talking.

Then, yesterday, I got out of her that they went to computers and she accidentally said a bad word and got another checkmark. And then she told me she got her report card and she was thinking I was going to be upset with her.

I get home and check her folder and find that she meant to say "sit" but accidentally said "s-it" and they gave her a check. My daughter does not go around cussing and I really do think that it came out accidentally. I've never ever had problems from her with this.

I looked at her report card. My all A student, got 2 B's this time. Andy and I just talked to her about all of her grades had fallen a little bit, but B's aren't necessarily a bad thing, but we know she's capable of getting her grades back up there. Andy was a bit disappointed and I told him that I just don't want to make her feel that if she doesn't get all A's that she's doing badly. My parents did that to me and it got to the point where I was scared of bringing my report cards home...one semester I can remember having all A's, but one was an A- and my Dad scolded me and asked me why it wasn't a solid A. Give me a break!

Anyway, she was crying last night that she wanted me to homeschool her. It's not the first time she's brought this up. I think she would miss being at school though and around her friends. I'm just starting to think that maybe having Little J here with all of her behaviors is starting to be a bit much for Deidra.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. We sent Little J to bed early last night due to her behaviors and we had some one-on-one time with Deidra to talk and so forth. I think I'm going to try to get her out with one of us once a week until Little J goes home. I set some ground rules though that she needs to do her homework before she goes off to play now. I told Andy though that she dropped to B's in science and language...that's stuff she always does in class. So, I really don't have a way to help her with her homework in that. She is already well on her way in reading though. She's where a middle of the year 2nd grader is expected to be already...so she's doing really well in reading.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for quite sometime and...I think you would be awesome and homeschooling. There are so many good curricula out there. We use A Beka. But there are a ton of others. It only takes a couple of hours. Not more than 4 and usually 2-3. And the curriculum is very easy to follow. It just takes consistency. And if you are worried about the socialization: You have to keep in mind, church, outings: grocery shopping, folks over for dinner,and field trips,there is a homeschooling group for Ellis County, regular play dates,sport groups, drama groups, and a ton of other social outlets. You do what's right for you and your little girl!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thanks so much! Do you have a blog? I'd love to possibly meet up sometime and talk more.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home