Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Grocery Store Incident...

I don't know what's gotten into me lately...as I never act like this.

I took the boys to the grocery store the day before yesterday. The only 2-seater cart that was left had broken seat belts. I got Baby D buckled in the best that I could. I go to do Baby J's and one of the prongs is broken off so I could only do one side of the harness. As we're walking up the first aisle Baby D says "broke, Mommy, broke" and I look down and his buckle is all weird. Figure I'm just going to fly through the store really quick and do the best that we can. Their stockers were all out in the aisles and maneuvering through was kind of difficult. Baby J kept standing up and so I finally put him in the regular part of the cart where the kids sit in the one seater carts. Go to do that buckle...that works but the strap is so big it doesn't restrain him from standing up there either. So, it's a constant fight to keep him sitting and I wouldn't move the cart until he sat down. I fly and hurry as best as I can. Baby J discovers he can get into the boxes...so then I was trying to keep him from opening anything. We finally make it to the check out and I'm unloading the cart, reminding Baby J to sit, trying to quiet Baby D....a guy walks up behind us and he must have told me at least twice "wow, you have great patience...wow you have your hands full." The cashiers decide to trade out before they can ring me up so the current cashier could go on break. So, we wait for that and the boys meltdowns start to get worse. The cashier looks up and says "the guy right behind you only has a couple of things, do you mind if he get him first?" What was I going to say? So, I tell them to go ahead. So, he goes in front of me and by this point Baby J is screaming his high-pitched squeel and the cashier gives me a dirty look as nothing I'm trying at this point is getting him to stop. I finally looked at her and said "well, you're the one who just took someone that was behind me in line...there's nothing I can really do at this point." I had to go bag my own groceries so that I could hurry up to get out of there. Anytime I go into a store by myself and I'm in line and someone comes up with screaming babies I always let them go ahead of me...it doesn't matter how much more they have than me...I know how it is to be stared at when you're kids are screaming their heads off and you just want to get out of the store.

We finally make it out to the parking lot and I get the van unlocked and I see that a suburban pulled up and is waiting for my spot. Nevermind there's a spot EQUIDISTANT across the same parking row that they could have pulled into. NO, they want MY spot. So, I get the groceries into the trunk as fast as I can while I'm still trying to get the boys to settle down. It's very windy outside and I'm trying to keep the cart from rolling. I finally get the groceries in and I go to put Baby J into his seat in the car. I try to motion to the suburban that is waiting for me that there's a spot right across from me that they can pull into. Nope, they still aren't moving. Nevermind either that there's 2 spots down from where we're parked that has an available spot that she could plainly see. No, apparently that's too far for her to walk. I go to get Baby D out of the cart and he starts to freak out and he majorly starts screaming. So, we walk the cart down to the corral so I have some time to calm him down. I didn't want to just put him in the van while he was screaming...so I spent some time trying to calm him down and I'm trying to once again motion to these people that there's a spot right there across from me. I mean, they can plainly see and hear that he's screaming his head off. So, I finally get him calmed down and into his seat. They have the nerve to start honking at me. I get in and try to back out and the van starts chiming at me that there's a door open. I forgot to close the trunk in my hurry...so I pull into another parking spot so I can park and close the trunk. At this point, I see them climb out of their suburban...two parents and about a 5-year old boy and I drive around and something just snapped and so I pull up to them in the parking lot and I wind my window down...I look at the mom and say to her "you know, next time you happen across someone that has small children that are clearly melting down int he parking lot and I still have groceries to put in my car and two children that I need to get buckled in, why don't you try parking in another space that is AVAILABLE rather than making a flustered mom try to rush, rush, rush, so you can just HAVE that spot? There was a spot RIGHT THERE and RIGHT THERE??" This hispanic lady nods her head at me and smiles and then I spouted off "and you don't understand a freaking word that I'm even saying do you?" and once again she smiles and nods her head. I yelled "forget it" and drove off. But, seriously...that is one of my biggest pet peeves anymore...people are getting too lazy to walk an extra few steps in a freaking parking lot to get into a store. I don't know how many times I've had to park way off in the parking lot with my little ones and walk in because that's all that is available for parking...it doesn't bother me!!! Why do people have to be so darned rude?? I hate it when people pull in wait for a spot when there's other alternatives right there!!

End of rant...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Most times I pick a spot further back even if there are closer spots. Generally because I'd rather park further away from the hustle and bustle and hope the sides of my car stay ding free from careless rude people.

5:58 PM  
Blogger My Two Army Brats said...

Hi! I happened across your blog cause it was listed on someone elses I think. I don't really know.

Anyhow I applaud you for stopping to chew the tail of the lady that got you all frustrated. I hate rude people. I might have been compelled to sit in my car and balance my checkbook, make a phone call and of course file my nails. Safety first you know, we can't be driving around with jagged nails they might snag on our shirt and slow the reaction time if we have to make an unexpected turn!

I'm off to read some more of your posts now!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home