Thursday, March 16, 2006

So tired of people who don't think before they say something...

People just don't think before words come out of their mouths. Abba, why can words hurt so much sometimes?

I was standing a couple of weeks ago up front at work with Allison. She got married a couple of years ago and has started to gain some weight. The people that have worked with her for the 5 years that she's worked there have started playfully picking on her about her gaining weight in her middle. Some have asked her if she was pregnant and if she's standing the right way she honestly looks like she could be. I'm not saying that their picking on her is right. But, she made the comment that she wants to joke back to them that her husband is infertile so she couldn't be pregnant to get them to shut up. I snapped and told her that wasn't something even to be joking about. Infertility is a very painful thing and I just didn't see it as a joking matter. Granted, she didn't know my situation or she probably wouldn't have said that. I know she's a person that doesn't hurt people intentionally, but it still kind of hurt. She apologized later and we hugged each other and I'm honestly over it. I just wish that people could understand the other side of the fence.

Then, last night, I was standing up front with Annie (who's 18 and pregnant and just got engaged). Mark, the department head of kitchen and bath, came up front to tell me that they just got picked by a birthmom to adopt her baby girl who is due to arrive in July. I was so happy for him that I had tears in my eyes. We both started this journey at the same time and have talked about it many a time together. He and is wife, Gina, are going to be awesome parents. Then, Annie says "well, at least your wife won't have to carry the baby for 9 months...you just get to be parents." I just looked at her dumbfounded and Mark and I exchanged a look. She has no idea all the pain and suffering that they endured for years and years trying to get pregnant on their own. I think his wife would have given anything to be pregnant...but to say that kind of comment to someone you could tell it stung. He went on to talk to me about how he was a little scared about being a Daddy so soon and I told him that they're so worth it and that he was going to be great. Annie spoke up again about how she understood the scary feeling...she was giving birth in just a couple more months and at least his wife didn't have to go through labor and pain. I just wanted to smack her and tell her to shut up. Why can't people seem to understand anything and the words they speak can really hurt and affect people? I kept trying to tell myself that she's only 18 and she's obviously not ready to be a parent herself, but then I started getting mad a little bit too. Abba, I just don't understand some things although I understand that everything happens for a reason. But why is it so easy for some people to get pregnant when they don't want their children or they're not ready to be parents and yet some people who want children so desperately can't have them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home