Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sometimes it really strikes me at how intuitive Deidra can really be...

I took Deidra last week to get a slush from Braums. We were being silly and just singing in the car. Then, she starts this conversation with me.

Deidra: It seems to me that some people don't want their kids.

Me: What? (Thinking, did I just hear that right?)

Deidra: It seems to me that people just don't want their kids.

Me: What makes you say that?

Deidra: Well, we wouldn't have foster care or adoption if people wanted them.

Me: Well, honey that doesn't always mean that people don't love their children. But sometimes people realize that they can't care for their children or give them what they really need to have a good life, so they give them up to people that can do those things.

Deidra: Well, when I have my kids I'm not ever going to do that. I'm going to be like you and be a good mom that I can count on and I'm going to repeat that pattern to be a good mom.

I was shocked to hear that conversation...we haven't talked to her about the patterns of abuse that some families go through or anything, so I was shocked to hear her use that phrase of repeating patterns. But, I am glad that she sees that she has a good pattern to follow and that instills in me that we must always set a good example for her to follow in all areas of our family life. Granted, I think we do anyway, but it just really shocked me at how intuitive she can be with some of this stuff. She came up with this all on her own...out of the mouth of a 6-year-old. This is some of the stuff that makes me so very proud of her.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home