Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Bad day yesterday...

I put the boys down for a nap..Baby J fell asleep...when I left Baby D was rubbing his eyes and I thought it was a safe bet that he was going to fall asleep too. I told him to go to bed and I left the room and shut the door. I came downstairs to clean my guest bathroom and pick up the playroom a little bit. I went into the kitchen to unload the dishwasher and begin cleaning the kitchen up when I hear footsteps above me and Baby D laughing. I ran upstairs and find the door to my master bathroom closed. I go in there and see a mess all over the floor and I slip and fall on my butt....there is water everywhere!!! They had pulled the door of Andy's bathroom sink vanity out and climbed up, stopped up his sink and had the water on full blast. It was pouring all over the place...his drawers were full of water and I was literally wading through the bathroom. I quickly shut off the water, brought them into their room to change their clothes, put them to bed and told them that we don't sneak out of bed and we certainly don't play in the bathrooms and make BIG messes. I ran and got all the towels I could find and I quickly realized that wasn't going to be enough. I ran and got blankets and dirty clothes...anything I could find to sop up the water. Still squishing around. I called Andy in tears not knowing what else to do...he said he would come home and help me and just take a long lunch. My Mom called and I cried to her and while I was on the phone to her I went into the laundry room to get a mop bucket and realized that it was also raining on my head...it was coming through the ceiling vent. Mom told me to call people who specialized in floods and have them come out to do damage control and help me clean it up. So, I called someone in the area that she recommeneded and they came out with probes to see where the water was in the floor. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as we thought...it was just in one generalized area as opposed to the whole area of the bathroom. So, he went back to his officce to get us 3 fans and a dehumidifer so that we could get the area dried up and prevent mold. While he was gone, we noticed that one of the ceiling seams was bulging...he said when he came back that the water had been draining that way and that getting the blowers on that area would help. He couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't crack slightly or leave a water mark when it was dry. Shortly after he left, we wound up with a slight crack. We'll just putty it and repaint when it's all dry. There was some water damage to the inside of Andy's cabinet drawers as well, but since it's the inside we're not all that worried about it as it's not visible to the outside.

Who knew 2 toddlers could make such a mess!!! I took pictures to document what happened in case Andy's work needed them as he never did make it back to work yesterday... I'll share them later.

In the meantime, I have sooo much laundry to do from that one incident...it may take me a few days to catch up!!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

Oh My! What a mess.
This happened to us a couple years back. We were both getting showered for our baby shower at T's work. My cat likes "fresh" water so I had turned it on to slowly trickle. I have no idea how the drain got closed but it did. After I got out of the shower, there was water pouring out over the sink and into the cabinets. What a mess! I had to empty the drawers to dry out and soak up as much as I could. The wood on the drawers was damaged slightly if you look close enough. Thank goodness we have a one story house or it might have been worse. I can't imagine the mess you had to clean up!
I guess on the bright side, I bet your floors are spic n span!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home