Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Working on not watching so much tv and more play...

Josiah doesn't watch much tv...he doesn't have the attention span at all. Little E however would love to watch tv whenever she WANTS to. Baby T really doesn't care. Deidra when she gets bored loves to watch tv. I started limiting tv a few weeks back because I was noticing that it's on for background noise far more than what the kids are actually watching it. I usually have it on the educational channel, KERA. However, I started limiting them to watching Sesame Street in the mornings and then the tv goes off. Right before nap time, they can watch an episode of whatever they pick. And then, when I'm making dinner, they can watch an episode of tv then. I'm trying to get Deidra to read more...I wish she shared my love of reading, but she just doesn't. So, she's always complaining that there isn't anything fun to do. I've been giving her chores to do when she complains. Little E has been trying to turn the tv on whenever she wants to and hates it when I tell her no. I'm trying to get them to play together and "pretend" more. Josiah is doing a little better with constructive play, but it's still very hard for me to let him out of my sight for too long as he'd much rather be destructive. Babt T plays really well by herself and with others...give her her baby dolls and her pretend food and she'd play just with those all day long and be happy.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I feel you on the T.V thing Jess. I get so much more done when the T.V. is on. Even more so when I use it as a special treat (read, "I'm at my wits end and you guys just need to sit still and stop making a mess, hitting each other, and nagging me for cookies!"), but I'm really trying to keep the whole thing off 100%.Well, when I've got to take a nap, the T.V generally goes on, or at the least: eventually! :-) And when they get feisty or clingy, stop and read to them, have them help me with a project, today it was vacuuming! Just taking that 5-15 minutes out of MY day allows them to go back rejuvenated to play by themselves and together.
-Stalker

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home