Sunday, July 26, 2009

Acts 29: Humility

Back on the Repent command...our developing character was humility vs. pride.

Developing Character
Humility vs. Pride
Humility is recognizing that in myself I am nothing and have nothing, and therefore, everything in life is a gift from God's hand.

We got a hand-out on humility.

Definition: recognizing and acknowledging my total dependence upon the Lord and seeking His will for every decision.

The natural result of being in the presence of God.

Expressed by a servan't spirit that is excited about making others successful.

Humble--Hebrew words

Anah--to stoop, bow down, to be afflicted, to weaken oneself

Kana--to bend the knee, to be brought into subjection

Philippians 2:5-11
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death on a cross. Therefor God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Specific ways to humble ourselves
--Welcome critics and bless those who curse you
--Volunteer for mental tasks
--Ask others about blind spots
--Express gratefulness
--Listen to others instead of talking about yourself
--Kneel in prayer
--Let authorities make final decisions
--Ask forgiveness for wrongs you have done
--Praise and honor others
--Take time for prayer and fasting
--Give sacrificially
--Give testimony of God's grace
--Deflect praise
--Be a servant.

Personal Evaluations:
How humble are you?
I think there's always room for improvement...I hate being in the spotlight and I don't always receive praise well from others. However, I've found that lately I have been craving praise and thanks for all that I do around here from my immediate family. I need to take more time to realize that God sees all and that He thanks for me all that I do. I don't necessarily need to hear it from my family.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home