Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Therapy

Trying to get some answers today...I had asked at meet the teacher night if it would be possible for Emmy to have her occupational therapist come up to the school on Mondays during rest time to do her therapy. The teacher didn't think it would be a problem and told me just to send a note. The principal called me last night and said that the school isn't allowed to do that and if they let all the outside providers come in for all the kids that do therapy at children's house and so forth, they'd be losing out on a lot of academic time. I told her that I understood that, but Emmy's been in therapy for almost 2 years and she's about 18 months behind...the only way that our current therapist could continue to see her was if she came up to the school as she's only in our area on Mondays. She said that she talked to the superintendant and he said no and she couldn't go above his decision. I then asked her if there was a way that the school could provide her therapy and she said she couldn't say yes or no. She'd have to be tested and there would have to be a need. Obviously, she hasn't been in therapy this long for her not to need it. It just makes me angry. So, I left a message for the superintendant to call me and let me know what he's willing to do. I guess if it comes down to it, I'll have to pull her out of school every Monday for her to receive her therapy...does that make more sense? or does it make more sense to allow the therapist to enter the school? UGH

Then, Andy went back to work today and said that our therapy company had left a message for him saying that they had a question about Josiah's insurance as they noticed that Medicaid was no longer their primary insurance and they don't work with United Healthcare. Obviously, they still have Medicaid...so I need to find out what to do there too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

I don't think they are allowed in the school either. If there are services at school it should be provided by the school free. But she would need to be evaluated and have an IEP to state services. And I can guarantee you the OT she would get would not be what she is currently getting.
Most parents try to arrange therapy in the afternoon and pick the kids up and take to therapy. We do that with our daughter once a week. We pay privately for OT b/c we know she wouldn't get it from the system like she needs but we have to provide transportation to the therapist.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, I would prefer her to stay with the current provider as she knows her and has worked with her for almost 2 years. The therapist comes to our home. The only problem is that she is only in our area on Mondays and her schedule time is limited as she has to pick up her girls from school in the afternoon. Her after school appts have already been taken by other kids. So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm praying about it and know that something will work out. I may wind up taking her out of school for her appt each week.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home