Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dad and Heart Troubles

Dad came in for a routine check-up to renew his blood pressure meds and get some medicine for a sinus infection that he had. He had been telling the NP about some shortness of breath that he had and some chest pain that he had been having and she kept telling him it was side effects from the medication and would get better and that he was getting carpal tunnel. Well, he wound up having an appt with a doctor this time that works with her and he wound uphaving him come in for a stress-test and doppler the very next morning. From there, he was sent to see a cardiologist as they found a heart blockage and were thinking he may need some stents. The cardiologist met with him and talked about some things and scheduled him for an angioplasty at the hospital that following MOnday (this was a Friday). They were unsure as to what he was going to need, but said they'd know more once they did the heart catheterization, and to pack a bag just in case he needed to be admitted or anything. I took him in Monday at 5:30 am...they took him back around 8 am and told me it would take about 30 minutes. An hour and 10 minutes later, I started getting really anxious and just as I was going to get up to ask the volunteer to see what was going on, the cardiologist came out to tell me that he had a lot of blockage and they had debated about sending him for open heart surgery and doing bypass, but finally settled on 2 stents and seeing how that would do first. He has 3 blockages and got 2 stents. They're hoping that the 1 stent will help 2 of the blockages that he had. He spent the night in the hospital and he has to go back to see the cardiologist in the beginning of March. Dad and I both got a little emotional when I was allowed to go back and see him in recovery and I made him promise me that from now on, he'll keep all of his doctor appts. I'm not ready to lose him just yet.

Since it was Valentine's Day on the day of his procedures, Andy was really sweet and stayed home with the kids so that I could be with my Dad. He even snuck a letter for me in with my Dad's paperwork so that I could find it while it was at the hospital. It's weird that I had been dealing with so many feelings and emotions that I had tried to talk to him about briefly and I told him I really didn't know how to explain what I was feeling...well in that letter it really came out that he understood all that I was feeling and what I was going through. That to me is totally a God thing...Andy really is my rock and the bond that we have is awesome. I love him so much. I am SO blessed to have him for a husband.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home