Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'm thinking about quitting my job...

Corey has been hounding me for months now to be a head cashier. He's been telling me that I was his first choice and that we all get along (him, me, and the other head cashiers) really well together. He kept pushing my name to the managers when he found out that they were going to be hiring a part time or full-time head cashier. Well, then, we had another head cashier quit a couple weeks ago and he told me that I had to put my name in the pool for head cashier so that he could get me in there. Well, I had the interview last week Wednesday and everything went well. He came up to me last night before I left and asked me if Steve (our operations manager) had talked to me yet and I said no. He then proceeded to tell me that he hoped that I didn't hate him, but that I didn't get the position. He didn't want me to have to give up my 7-4 shifts as that's my shift during the week and whoever got the position was going to have sucky hours as he wasn't going to be available 2 days a week as he had school to finish up. And he said that he couldn't get Joni (one of the other girls who was interviewing for the position) to full-time if they didn't give her the position. He got called away for something else and couldn't finish talking to me and he left saying that it was a hard call and a hard decision to make and that there were a couple other reasons too. Kathy (his favorite head cashier) came up to me saying that Corey didn't know who to hire to do it and that it was really a close call, but that she thought that the sole reason that Joni got it over me was because I had a young child who gets sick from time to time and I'm not dependable enough for them to know when I'm going to be there. Andy and I had talked about the fact that I wasn't going to be able to call in as much when I took the position and we had a plan in place that I was going to go in and do my job until the next supervisor got in and then I was going to go home early so that Andy could go in and do a half day as well. The bottom line is that I've missed 5 days in the last 7 months because she's been sick. It didn't count in my favor that I was sicker than a dog for the last week and a half and I didn't miss one day. Corey told me when I had my review and we talked about attendance that he understood my daughter was important and he didn't hold it against me at all when I had to miss. I just feel in some ways that I was discriminated against because I do have a young child and I feel like if they're going to hold that against me, even though they claim to be such a family oriented company, that it's time for me then to give my daughter her mother back full-time and it's time for me to quit. Andy wanted me to put in my 2 weeks notice today, but I told him I was going to sit on it until Monday and really pray about it. Andy told me he'd pick up an extra job at night to cover the expenses and I could devote myself to my schooling and I could be home with Deidra again like we've both been wanting. I just don't want to screw ourselves if I don't have health insurance (I provide my own benefits) or get us into any trouble financially by missing out on my income. Granted, I only bring home about $400 a month after daycare expenses are paid out anyway, but it's still something that I contribute to bills. I could probably make up for that though in ebay if I could really spend the time on it that I wanted to. Abba, I honestly don't know what to do. I don't want to get us in any financial trouble if I don't have health insurance for awhile in case I were to get really sick and I don't bring home a whole lot of money after you consider in daycare expenses, but I don't want us to get into trouble over lacking that $400 either. Help me know what to do. I've been wanting to be home with Deidra more anyway and maybe this is the answer and why I didn't get the promotion. I know you don't close one door without opening another. Just please guide me to what You think I should do as I just want to please You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home