Friday, September 22, 2006

The taking of a name...

So, Deidra asked the question last night at my brother's football game while she kept telling me "Your name is Jessica." and I'd say "nope, I changed my name." She kept telling me that you couldn't change your name and then proceeded to ask Andy and my Mom if you could change your name. Obviously they both told her yes. My Mom asked "Well, ask Mommy what her last name was before she married your Daddy." I told her that my name used to be Jessica Davis. My Mom explained to her that when you get married your name changes usually to your husband's last name or it's hyphenated. I said "well sometimes the husband even takes the wife's last name." Andy said there's no way that he would have done that. My Mom said "you wouldn't have married her if she wanted you to take on her last name?" He said ," nope, there's no way." So, my question of the day is "would your husband have taken on your last name if it came down to it?" Would he have married you anyway?

Abba, I don't know why this rubbed me the wrong way when Andy answered the way that he did. Obviously, I never thought about anything but of taking on his last name, or my last name wouldn't be what it is. My Mom even commented to me on the way to the bathroom that that was a pretty profound statement to make. I just kinda acted like it wasn't bothering me, but I kept thinking about it. This morning, I finally told him how I had been feeling about it and he got all mad at me saying that he was joking and that I was way overreacting. I chose to let it go, but it honestly is just rubbing me the wrong way. I took his name out of respect for him, why couldn't he respect me enough if I really wanted him to take my maiden name to do that for me if it really meant alot to me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wouldn't want Don to take my name, it would mess up everything that marriage is all about. It's about us marrying our husband, and cleaving to them. He is head of household, we are not... again, i wouldn't want it the other way. But that's just me. i do use my maiden name as my middle name though, cuz that's part of who i am.

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home