Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Poop Smearing

I am going crazy with this. Baby J has done this ever since he came to us at 13 months old. He'd reach into his diaper and get it all over his hands and just smear and smear away. A couple of months ago, he did a major job all over his crib and walls and I gagged and gagged cleaning it up. We were putting onesies on him backwards and everything and he's so strong, he'd just pull hard and undo them. Finally, I decided to put sleepy footy jammies on him backwards so he couldn't unzip them. This seemed to help.

Last night, Andy put his jeans on backwards and since he didn't have a whole lot of room to stick his fingers in and get into the diaper and we didn't have any messes during the night...I figured it was fine to do that for his nap today. Yeah, I thought totally wrong....I heard him get up and while I finished up the cleaning that I was doing, I figured he was fine in his room (there's nothing for him to get into in there). 5-10 minutes later, I go up and find that he pooped and had taken his pants and diaper off and he had smeared poop all over his changing table, wall, blinds, and some of the floor. It was a mess! I put him in the tub while I went to town cleaning his room. I think I got it all cleaned up, but there may be some spots on the floor that I'll have to go back over to make sure I get it all out.

Does anyone know what helps get a kid out of this phase? I'm going to get some play-doh and finger paints and see if this will help. I know some kids are more fascinated with this stuff, but it's a pain in the butt to clean up not to mention it's totally gross and he's too little to make him clean it himself.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

start potty trainin'

6:05 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I tried that when he was about 18 months old and he refuses to have anything to do with the potty. Even now that he's 2 and I try to sit him on it before a bath, he will scream and arch his back to get off of it. I'll keep trying to introduce Mr. Potty to him though.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home