Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Baby J came through his surgery ok...

Wppppppppppe had to have him at the surgery center at 6:30 in the morning to get his adenoids out. We signed some papers and waited for a few minutes before they were ready to bring him back. She took his vitals and then they gave him some "goofy juice" to calm him down. I felt bad that we were laughing at him, but he was a hoot. He was tilting his head and looking at his funny, his words were slurring together, and he was drooling everywhere. Andy took some pictures for his scrapbook page. It's too bad we didn't have him on video. Anyway, they carried him back to the OR around 7:30 and we were told it would take anywhere from 30-45 minutes and that we couldn't leave the building. I couldn't imagine actually leaving the building, but she said a lot of parents go out for breakfast. That wasn't even an idea that I had...anyway they come out to tell us that everything went well, but that the whole back of his nose was covered in green goo and so we got some antibiotics for him. They called us back a few minutes later saying that we could come back and see him although he wasn't awake yet. I walked up to that bed and it took everything that I had not to start crying. He was crying and I thought he was coughing, but he picked his head up to look at me and then went back to sleep. They got some more vitals and then they told me I could hold him and sit with him in the big chair. They told us recovery would last about an hour. We got settled in the big chair and he threw up some mucous. She brought him some apple juice and that came back up. The doctor came in to check his throat for bleeding and said that we could go home once he stopped throwing up. He'd be back to check on him after the next procedure. We got some more juice down him after he had a little nap and that came back up as well. The nurse gave him some anti-nausea meds and had us try to give him a little more juice. He threw that up as well. He took a nap and she came in and checked him and I told her that I could feel his chest just rattling and I didn't know if that could happen or if it needed to be checked. She asked me if he was like that before surgery and I said no. She listened to him and then she said she was going to give him some different anti-nausea meds but that it would make him very sleepy and once he fell asleep she was going to give him a breathing treatment. He never fell asleep and that shocked her and the doctor. He did his breathing treatment on my lap and he threw up again. The doctor told us that he didn't know why he was still having such a hard time, but that he was apparently just very sensitive to anesthesia. At this point, Baby J was becoming a bit more active and they all just thought he was absolutely adorable. The doctor couldn't understand how he could look like so good while he was feeling so miserable. I told him that I always have a hard time knowing when he's not feeling well as he acts completely normal...he'll be running around like normal and all of a sudden with throw up all over the place. He doesn't get sick much either and he has a high pain tolerance as well, so it's hard to tell when he's not feeling all that well. Anyway, they had me feed him a popsicle slush and see if that would stay down. He was getting mad because he was hungry and I would only give him a little at a time. He kept the popsicle down for a few minutes and he wanted more. They brought him in another one and he was able to eat that whole thing and then he started not looking so good and up everything came. They also discovered that his IV wasn't working and so they took his IV out. Then, we were all confused on whether he had even managed to get any anti-nausea meds. She had him sit there for awhile to let his tummy rest and the doctor said that once he could hold fluids down for at least 30 minutes that we could go home. He gave me a perscription for some Phenergan to help him at home. They gave him a sip of water and had him sit for 30 minutes. He kept that down and so they let us come home at 1:30 pm. They took one last set of vitals and he was so cute...the nurse wrote his vitals down on her hand so she could chart it later and he says to her "hey, you wrote on your hands...you only write on paper." We all just giggled.

He was crying that he was hungry once we got home so I gave him a tiny amt of apple juice and a little chicken noodle soup and up it came a few minutes later. Poor baby! He took a long nap and got up and I gave him some Phenergan to try to eat some dinner and he was finally able to keep some soup and juice down. He wanted to go back to sleep after that and he wound up sleeping until 7 this morning. He is not a sleeper either which tells me that he felt miserable yesterday! However, I went to bed at 8 myself last night and didn't wake up until he woke me up this morning. He is still acting tired and wants to cuddle a lot, but he has spurts where he wants to get up and play and he kept his saltines down this morning that he wanted. So, hopefully today will be more like normal. He is still sounding really croupy though. I'll let him smell some of the cool air this morning and see if that helps.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home