Friday, December 26, 2008

Giving back...

Well, this past couple of days I have been thinking about some things. Andy's been really into playing frisbee golf and playing with his co-workers and such. I was handling it ok until he started wanting to go more and more. He's been gone more Saturdays than he's been home in the past month and I found myself getting resentful because I'm always home with the kids. Granted, a couple Saturdays he had to work and it was out of his hands, but I was just tired and burned out and he wanted to go out and play. I think part of me getting upset is due to the fact that he has people to hang out with and I don't and I don't like having to be home with the kids without a break while he's gone all the time. I want to meet other people, but with the kids it's hard sometimes and my shyness majorly gets in the way. I don't know what I can do to meet people and I started hearing little whispers "go volunteer." I wondered if there were any places to go volunteer in any soup kitchens to feed the homeless or something. I found a meetup group that does random acts of kindness and they volunteer at the Salvation Army in Dallas once or twice a month feeding the homeless and they do other things throughout the Dallas community as well. I joined. I thought maybe my Mom may want to go with me sometimes and once Deidra gets a bit older she can come with me too if she wants. She has to be 10 first. But, this will give me a chance to go do something to give back and hopefully meet some people along the way as well. And it gets me out so I'm not just dealing with kids day in and day out.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

I think that is a wonderful idea. A great way to get to know more people and get out of the house. Plus you are doing good for others.
I also like that you want to teach Deidra to help as well.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I know where you are coming from. I have very few in real life friends...and the ones I do have are not local to me to hang out with whenever I want.

I guess I am socially awkward so I have always struggled with this, too.

Volunteering does work...I'm involved with a couple things and have met some great people. More than anything they are phone buddies or people I see only when I am involved in that activity. It still helps me to feel involved and needed, which is the void I craved to fill.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home