Tuesday, February 24, 2009

On to Day 6 of a High Fever...

My goodness...I feel so badly for Deidra. They sent her home from school on Thursday because she was saying her stomach hurt. I got her home and not even an hour later she was running a 102 fever. Friday she was home from school and crying because it hurt really bad. She was really pale and all she wanted to do was sleep. Saturday my brother stayed with her while Andy and I ran down to Austin. She was acting fine, but pale and tired...but more awake than she had been. I brought her to dinner with me and my brother and she barely ate. By the time she was ready for bed her fever had spiked again and her eyes had that sunk in look to them and they were all red and her lips were really dry. I had her sit and drink for a couple of hours before I let her go to bed as I was worried that we were going to wind up in the ER to rehydrate her. It was a battle as she was scared to drink because she didn't want to throw up. Sunday, all she wanted to do was sleep, but I was worried about her and kept waking her up to take drinks of things. Her color was looking better, but her eyes are all red. She started acting more like herself again in the afternoon and when I put her to bed her fever looked like it was starting to come back down. She wanted to go to school on Monday, but I told her that we had to see what her fever was doing come morning. I took it Monday morning and it was back to 101. My goodness! I put in a call to the doctor to see what they thought and I was told that strep was going around as well as two strains of the flu. Great! I talked with the nurse and she told me to keep her hydrated and if she continued to run a fever in a couple of days that they probably needed to see her. This morning (Tuesday), I took her temp and it was 100.8. I debated about what to do...she's already missed about 7 days of school this year and if she gets anything else throughout the next couple of months I didn't want to risk her passing 2nd grade due to missing too many days...so I gave her some motrin and let the teacher know that she wasn't feeling all that well and if things got to be too much for her today that I'd come get her early. I worry about her falling too far behind as well, but since they're counted present for the day at 10 am, I figured if I can just get her to hang in there for 2 hours...I won't have to worry about them counting her absent. Well, she made it through the whole day of school, but by the time I got her at the end of the day she fell asleep almost as soon as she got in the car and when I took her temperature it was 101. We had some errands to run for our adoption stuff that they needed right away. So, I had to drive up to Dallas to have Andy sign a paper at work and then run them over to the agency. I got home and Deidra has so much homework just from 2 days of school that she missed, that we had to work on some and then she wanted to play outside. I thought maybe the sun and the fresh air would do her some good, so she went out to play for almost an hour. She is just so weak and worn out...I feel so awful for her. She started crying this afternoon because she's so tired of feeling badly and being so tired. If her temp isn't better tomorrow, I guess it's time to bring her in to the doctor to see what's going on. I had a light version of what she had over the weekend, but thankfully I'm better now. I just hope none of the other kids get it. We're doing respite this week for the girls' little brother (he's 15 months) this week too, so I'm hoping he doesn't catch it either.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Little D, hope she feels better soon!!!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Poor thing! How is she now? Any better?

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home